In a news release, clinical stage pharmaceutical development company Algernon Pharmaceuticals Inc. (AGN:CSE; AGNPF:OTCQB; AGW:FSE) announced that "it has received ethics approval from the Royal Brisbane & Women's Hospital, Human Research Ethics Committee for its planned Phase 2 Idiopathic Pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and chronic cough clinical study of its re-purposed drug NP-120 (Ifenprodil), an NMDA receptor antagonist."
The firm noted that the two sites that received approval are Cairns Hospital in Queensland and Concord Repatriation General Hospital in New South Wales. The company indicated that it is still waiting to receive ethics approval for one additional location in Australia and two other participating sites in New Zealand. Algeron stated that it expects to commence enrollment in the Ifenprodil Phase 2 IPF and chronic cough clinical study in late June.
The company's CEO Christopher J. Moreau commented, "Novotech, our Asia-Pacific CRO partner, continues to meet their projected timelines for this very important study...We look forward to conclusion of the ethics approval process and announcing the enrollment of the first patient in the trial."
The firm advised that the purpose of the Phase 2 IPF & Chronic Cough Study is to determine the efficacy of Ifenprodil in the preservation of lung function in IPF patients (including biomarkers of fibrosis) and its associated cough. The company noted that "Ifenprodil has been shown to mediate anti-inflammatory responses and reduce pulmonary fibrosis in a murine model of IPF and significantly reduced both cough frequency and onset in a guinea pig tussive model."
The firm explained that "NP-120 (Ifenprodil) is an N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist specifically targeting the NMDA-type subunit 2B (Glu2NB) and that Ifenprodil prevents glutamate signaling." The company added that NMDA receptors are found on many tissues including lung cells and T-cells, neutrophils.
The company advised that it has already filed new intellectual property rights globally for NP-120 (Ifenprodil) for use in treatment of respiratory diseases. The firm stated that it is also presently working to develop a proprietary injectable and a slow release formulation.
Algernon Pharmaceuticals is a drug re-purposing firm headquartered in Vancouver. The company focuses on investigating safe and previously approved medicines for use in new disease applications.
Read what other experts are saying about:
1) Stephen Hytha compiled this article for Streetwise Reports LLC and provides services to Streetwise Reports as an independent contractor. He or members of his household own securities of the following companies mentioned in the article: None. He or members of his household are paid by the following companies mentioned in this article: None.
2) The following companies mentioned in this article are billboard sponsors of Streetwise Reports: Algernon Pharmaceuticals. Click here for important disclosures about sponsor fees. As of the date of this article, an affiliate of Streetwise Reports has a consulting relationship with Algernon Pharmaceuticals. Please click here for more information.
3) Comments and opinions expressed are those of the specific experts and not of Streetwise Reports or its officers. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security.
5) From time to time, Streetwise Reports LLC and its directors, officers, employees or members of their families, as well as persons interviewed for articles and interviews on the site, may have a long or short position in securities mentioned. Directors, officers, employees or members of their immediate families are prohibited from making purchases and/or sales of those securities in the open market or otherwise from the time of the interview or the decision to write an article until three business days after the publication of the interview or article. The foregoing prohibition does not apply to articles that in substance only restate previously published company releases. As of the date of this article, officers and/or employees of Streetwise Reports LLC (including members of their household) own securities of Algernon Pharmaceuticals, a company mentioned in this article.
6) This article does not constitute medical advice. Officers, employees and contributors to Streetwise Reports are not licensed medical professionals. Readers should always contact their healthcare professionals for medical advice.